Commonly called "Fort
Hill", this hill in the middle of Frankfort has the
remains of Fort Boone and the "New" Redoubt. These
fortifications were built in 1863 and 1864 to defend the
city from Confederate forces. A detachment of about 200
cavalrymen under the command of Gen. John Hunt Morgan
attacked the unfinished for in 1864, but was repulsed by
Federals inside the fort. The farmer who owned the land
had put up miles of stone fences to divide his fields.
Unfortunately, he was not a trained stone mason and much
of the wall is in the state seen in the first picture.
The stone had to be dug out of the brush and dirt and be
The quality of limestone in this wall is
very, very poor. Also, it seems that much of the stone
is just missing. We had to scour the hillside to collect
enough stone to do this 22 foot section.
The rebuilt sections will stand
for at least twice the time that the original construction did be before it
needs repairing again.
Twenty-two feet down, 15,818
feet to go!
As this part of the wall is
resurrected, a small sigh of relief goes up. The harvest is plenty but the
reapers are few.